Thursday, March 4, 2010

Bridges, Basterds & Waltz?

Having caught up with some of the nominees, I'd like to reflect a little bit about some of the nominated movies and actors/actresses for this years Academy Awards.

First of, Jeff Bridges. The Dude. There's something very likable about this guy. And he's done some great performances, and some brilliant movies. He is nominated for his lead role in the movie Crazy Heart. He plays Bad Blake, a country-singer who is pretty much finished. Playing in small bars and even a bowling-alley ( reference to "The Big Lebowski", anyone? ), drinking a little bit too much Whiskey and with a somewhat troubled relationship with his former protege, he is struggling with money and himself. And yeah, I never thought I'd see Colin Farrell singing country in a movie. ( Well, now I have )

The story is definitely not a revelation. We've seen similar stories before. I did enjoy the movie, though. I enjoyed Jeff Bridges performance, and also really loved the chemistry he had with Maggie Gyllenhaal. The movie itself it not nominated for best picture, which is totally understandable. It's not a great movie. It's just a good movie. Jeff Bridges, though... He makes no mistakes here. Sad, lonely, pathetic, but also funny, nice and with a good heart. Nominated for the 5th time this year ( 3 times for supporting, 2 for leading ), he is yet to win an Oscar.

He is up against George Clooney ( Up in the Air ), Colin Firth ( A Single Man ), Morgan Freeman ( Invictus ) and Jeremy Renner ( The Hurt Locker ). Having seen Up in the Air and The Hurt Locker, I'd say out of those two Jeremy Renner is his biggest threat. I do hope Jeff Bridges wins the award, but I have my doubts.


Will Quentin finally win an Oscar for directing? Inglorious Basterds was, in my opinion, a great movie. The cinematography was fantastic, and some of the scenes are truly brilliant. The long, opening scene of the movie is amazing in so many ways. Christoph Waltz as Hans Landa steals most ( if not all ) of his scenes in the movie. Let this man win the award for Best Supporting Male, and I'll be quite happy no matter what the outcome in the rest of the award ceremony.


On other notes, Gabourey Sidibe should definitely be one of the faves to win for her lead role in Precious. A very solid performance in her very first movie. Oh, some of the scenes in the movie were filmed where I lived during my 5 months in New York. I recognized my subway station on Dyckman Street in Inwood. I saw it, and I said "Hey, that's my subway station from where I lived in New York." True story.


For actress in a supporting role, ( not yet seen Nine, for which Penélope Cruz is nominated for ), I'd say both Maggie Gyllenhaal ( Crazy Heart ), Vera Farmiga ( Up in the Air ) and Mo'Nique ( Precious ) are good contenders for this. Anna Kendrick ( Up in the Air ), not so much.

A lot of movie-talk these days, but it's Oscar-time.

Well, that's it for now. Be safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment