Friday, November 12, 2010

Across the Universe in 500 days

No, I don't have any plans for a trip around the universe. I'd just like to share my thoughts on two great movies. If you are observant (don't really have to be all that observant to be honest), you've already figured out which two movies I am talking about.

500 Days of Summer came out last year (2009), and stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel. It's what one might describe as a delighful movie, and also very importantly in this context.. the soundtrack is brilliant. I love it when the music does so much for a movie as it does in this one. Some of the scenes are wonderfully done.

Here are some of my faves from the soundtrack of 500 Days of Summer:

Regina Spektor - Hero




Regina Spektor - Us




The Smiths - There is a Light that Never Goes Out




Simon & Garfunkel - Bookends




The Smiths - Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want




Across the Universe came out in 2007. It's a musical-ish movie where the music of The Beatles is at the centre of the movie throughout. Jim Sturgess, Evan Rachel Wood and Joe Anderson plays the main parts, and they do a great job interpreting a number of Beatles-tunes. Eddie Izzard also has a small appearance in the movie, which also features small appearances by musicians Bono and Joe Cocker.

Here are some of the music-clips from the movie:
(obviously these contains a few spoilers...)


I've Just Seen a Face




I Want You (She's so Heavy)




Strawberry Fields Forever




Hey Jude




With a Little Help from my Friends




I Want to Hold Your Hand




Have a great Weekend!

1 comment: