Saturday, April 27, 2013

Al Pacino - An actor's actor




It's hard to believe now, 41 years later, that Al Pacino was very close to losing out on the part as Michael Corleone in 'The Godfather'. Francis Ford Coppola had to fight Paramount to keep both the job as a director, and the young Pacino as the main character. Paramount wanted a bigger name for the part, but luckily Coppola managed to keep both himself and Pacino attached to the project all the way through. 41 years after the release of the movie, Al Pacino has starred in almost 50 movies, and is widely regarded as one of the finest actors in film history.


Discussions around the casting of Michael Corleone, including auditions from both James Caan and Martin Sheen for the part.




It's hard not to like Al Pacino. Not only is he an accomplished actor who has given us so many memorable moments, but he also shows a true love for the work he does. Maybe that is the reason why he's never been married? Although 50 movies might seem a low number compared to some of the old-timers, it's a very impressive number if you consider the content of his work. Not only has he done great and demanding character portrayals on film, but he has also done quite a lot of work in the theatre. He also did a brilliant performance in the HBO Miniseries 'Angels in America'.

The Bronx-born actor has one Academy Award, for his performance in 'Scent of a Woman', in which he plays a retired blind Lieutenant Col. in the US army. Chris O'Donnell said about working with Pacino in the movie:
"... at the same time I thought this is gonna be great, cause he'll be watching me, and I'll get some.. some really constructive feedback from him. Well, we finished up shooting and hadn't really heard anything from him, and.. we had the wrap party, and hadn't really heard anything from him.. and finally I got a letter from him.. which I saved, and.. was very excited to get a letter from Al Pacino. He says: I couldn't tell what you were doing, because I sort of never saw you. Although it felt as if you were always with me, and from what I've heard your performance is outstanding."

This quote does show Al Pacino's unique ability to really go deep into his characters. His character was blind, so essentially Al Pacino himself was also blind during the shooting. A brilliant performance well worthy of an Oscar, it is still puzzling that he's "only" received one Academy Award throughout his career. Many would argue he has earned quite a few, although he does have 8 nominations in total. When he won the lead role for 'Scent of a Woman' in 1992, he was also nominated for his supporting role in 'Glengarry Glen Ross'. He has also received Oscar-nominations for 'The Godfather', 'Dick Tracy' (supporting roles), 'Serpico', 'The Godfather Part II', 'Dog Day Afternoon' and '...And Justice For All'. Add to this 4 Golden Globes and 2 Emmy's, as well as numerous other awards and achievements.

Some of his best moments


Here are a couple of Al Pacino's most memorable moments on film, including two of those speeches that will be right there on the top of the lists when it comes to Film Monologues. 


Any Given Sunday

Now that is what you call a proper pep talk. 




Scent of a Woman

"I'm too old, I'm too tired, I'm too fucking blind..."




Scarface

Al Pacino sets the tone for the movie with this amazing opening scene as he has just arrived in the US. 





Heat

Pacino being... Pacino



Dog Day Afternoon

The infamous Attica-scene




The Godfather

In this scene, following the McClusky-scene which led to his escape to Sicily, Michael Corleone continues to show that he is a man who knows how to get what he wants. 




Making a list of memorable scenes with Al Pacino has the potential to fill up the internet, so I'm gonna leave it here for now. However, I'd highly recommend the following video for those interested in listening to a man truly in love with his profession. 


Al Pacino at 'Inside the Actors Studio'





1 comment:

  1. I am Alecia used every single spell worker on the internet, spent untold amounts of money and discovered they are all fakes…i was the fool though; doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. In the end, I decided that I wanted a tarot reading to know what my future held for me; I contacted a woman who lives locally to me and she told me about a man named (Dr Abalaka); he does not advertise on the internet, has another job for income, has no set prices, makes no false promises and refuses to help anyone that cannot be helped and even helps for free sometimes, he will give you proof before taking money. He is a wonderful man and he was the only person who actually gave me real results. I really hope he doesn’t mind me advertising his contact on the internet but I’m sure any help/ extra work will benefit him.contact him as dr.abalaka@outlook.com He travel sometimes.love marriage,finance, job promotion ,gambling voodoo,lottery Voodoo,poker voodoo,golf Voodoo,Law & Court case Spells,money voodoo,weigh loss voodoo,any sicknesses voodoo,Trouble in marriage,it’s all he does Hope this helps everyone that is in a desperate situation as I once was; I know how it feels to hold onto something and never have a chance to move on because of the false promises and then to feel trapped in wanting something
    more. his cell phone number 5182932141 !

    ReplyDelete